Until carpet, hardwood and tile manufacturers invent floors that clean themselves, the Roomba 980 is the next best thing. Backed by more than 26 years’ experience in robotics technology, this most recent addition to the Roomba line is powerful, designed to vacuum any surface materials and can reach areas that many human-powered vacuums cannot. Fully programmable, cleaning functions can be pre-scheduled, operated from a smartphone, limited to specific rooms or assigned “double-duty” for high-traffic areas. In households with pets, high levels of activity or sensitivity to allergies, daily use can extend carpet life, reduce allergens and provide clean, attractive, floors throughout the home every day of the week.
And no household with pets is complete without a Romba.
Table of Contents
980’s Unique Features
Space doesn’t allow coverage of all this appliance’s capabilities. For additional highlights and in-depth explanations, take advantage of the comprehensive “Owner’s Manual”.
Meanwhile, consider these:
- iRobot HOME App is compatible with smartphones, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Schedule jobs, send & receive notifications or manually begin & end cleaning in a specific area or the entire house.
- Carpet Boost Mode The 980 is the only Roomba that has the Gen 3 motor. When the Roomba is in carpet boost mode, it will for deeper clean the carpet. The Carpet Boost Mode will available in Performance Mode and Automatic Mode. On Performance mode, the vacuum will always boost to maximize the cleaning performance. On Automatic Mode, Roomba will automatically boost its vacuum power to deep clean carpets.
- Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barriers prevent cleaning in areas and rooms as desired, as well as away from any objects you specify.
- The array of Sensors provide up to 10x more power in transitioning to carpet, heavy debris or dirt. In conjunction with special brushes, grime cannot hide or build up along walls, corners or toe kicks. Rosie (or whatever you inevitable name your Roomba) cannot fall down the stairs or drop-offs but can provide maps and reports such as what areas have been cleaned, and how long they required.
- AeroForce High-Efficiency Filter removes 99% of allergens and microscopic particles.
Below table shows the 980 detailed features:Table could not be displayed.
Pros & Cons of Roomba 980 Vacuum
- Performance – By design, the machine takes more time to cover smaller areas that we humans do. The result is a more thorough cleaning.
- Convenience – There are no long cords to untangle, hang up on furniture or wrap up afterward. Its slim, space-efficient profile can easily be carried up and down staircases. When the job is finished, or after 2 hours of work, the Roomba will automatically “go back home” to its storage area and dock itself to re-charge its batteries.
- Technology – Tasks can be assigned, supervised and verified from anywhere in the world that you and your cell phone happen to be.
- Factory & Vendor Support & Service – A detailed, comprehensive Owner’s Manual, “Quick Start Cards” and the availability of technical assistance for connection to “smart home systems” are in addition to readily available replacement parts and inexpensive extended warranties from many vendors.
- Versatility – Dusty footprints, pet hair, kitty litter, crumbs or dried leaves and grass … name your dirt and it will disappear. Toe kicks, corners, recesses, under beds and furniture … Roomba will go where uprights or their attachments can’t.
- It’s just fun! (And kinda cool) – Many, if not most, reviewing customers actually give their robot a name and refer to it as a member of the family.
- Sound Level – Some consumers have expressed disappointment with the “noise” produced by the high-powered motor, which is actually no louder, if not quieter, than any standard vacuum cleaner. If sound-sensitivity is an issue, the simple solution is to schedule operation when no one is at home.
- Cost – “Sticker shock” may subside once time savings and results are factored. The Roomba 980 provides a more thorough cleaning and can operate up to 12 hours a day, every day.
- Small Collection Bin – Well, the machine is small; the amount of debris varies from home to home. Some might say that filling the bin is the objective. The more frequently the machine is used, the less dirt will accumulate.
- Slow Operation – Optimal results require more time than we humans usually take with a few swipes of a traditional upright.
- Technical / Software Issues – While our multiple surveys indicate a very respectable consumer rating in the 95% range, there have been negative comments regarding connectivity and wireless integration. Whether “user error”, 3d party shipping damage or the inevitable/occasional technical glitch, the manufacturer and reputable vendors do provide a superior support network. Inspect the box and contents on delivery. Keep all receipts and packing materials. Read and follow all instructions.
What’s In the Box
The 980 Roomba contains 2 Dual-Mode Virtual Wall in the box, also It has an extra AeroForce High-Efficiency Filter. The 980 support multi-room cleaning, and with the 2 virtual wall, it is very good for a big house. If you don’t want the Roomba to clean your private room, put a virtual wall near the door.Table could not be displayed.
Considering a Purchase? Buyer’s Guide & Cleaning Instruction
Certainly, there are high-quality alternative models in the Roomba family, such as Room 800 Series, as well as competitive lines. Individual circumstance, priorities, and requirements should drive the decision. The purchase price of this equipment includes a number of high-tech features that may or may not be necessary to your lifestyle. If they aren’t going to be needed or used, unless you’re just a geek who loves gadgets, you’ll still need to keep a broom and carpet sweeper handy when guests are due within the hour.
On the other hand, for those who enjoy a clean home, have pets or kids or a busy schedule … or any or all of the above, the Roomba 980 will provide superior results and can actually save money and time.
Assuming that someone at least occasionally vacuums your floors, consider these 2 points:
- Watch a housekeeper – in your home or in a hotel. Watch your spouse, roommate, teenager or yourself. On carpeted areas, we rhythmically make 2 or 3 swipes, for a few seconds, until the nap is raised, although the invisible dirt remains to slowly destroy fibers and matting, which hold residual odors. On tile, laminate and hardwood flooring, we sweep the readily visible dirt into a pile and then pass a mop over the surface … spreading the leftover, invisible, grime until the floor is dry.
What was the cost of that manually-operated upright? What is the time (by whomever) spent once a week, or whenever the need becomes obvious, worth? Are the results worth the time, effort and expense invested?
- The more often a Roomba 980 works, the less it has to work. Regular, periodic, cleaning not only assures maximum enjoyment of an attractive home every day, the job is no longer a chore that requires more time, effort or human presence than pressing a couple of buttons ….
To Sum It All Up
A degree in computer science is not required to take advantage of all the features included. No human with a manual vacuum cleaner can achieve the results at a lower cost than a Roomba working 2 or 10 or more hours per week. No human operating a manual vacuum cleaner will ever entertain guests by performing household routines.