For many of us, the possibility of outsourcing the sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping of the floors in our homes is more than welcome news. The idea of having a robotic vacuum clean the house while we are doing other things is no longer alien. Since their introduction over 10 years ago, robotic vacuum cleaners have greatly evolved. They are no longer erratically moving around, missing parts of the floor and sucking up only half the dirt. Today, these “robo-maids” are fully up to the task of keeping our homes spotless. In fact, there are now models that specialize in cleaning a certain type of flooring. While every robotic vacuum discussed here is able to work on every type of floor, they are especially good for cleaning tiles.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Need a Robotic Vacuum?
- 2 How to Choose the Best Robotic Vacuum for Tile Floors?
- 3 Roomba 980: The Best Robotic Vacuum for Tile Floors
- 4 A Perfect Bundle: Robotic Vacuum + Robotic Mopping
- 5 5 Additional Robotic Vacuums Good for Tile Floors
- 5.1 Comparison Chart
- 5.2 iRobot Roomba 890
- 5.3 Neato Robotics Botvac D80
- 5.4 Samsung POWERbot R7040
- 5.5 Shark ION Robot 750
- 5.6 ECOVACS DEEBOT M81
- 6 Conclusion
Why Need a Robotic Vacuum?
Before we get into the details, let’s look at the many advantages of having a robotic vacuum.
- It uses smart technology. Artificial intelligence is at the forefront of technology at the moment, and the smart technology that operates a robotic vacuum is part of our future.
- It saves you time. While your robotic vacuum cleans your floors, you can focus on more important tasks.
- It keeps your house clean. While a robotic vacuum does not replace a regular vacuum or regular housekeeping chores, it does help with keeping your home clean by picking up the kind of dirt that accumulates on a daily basis.
- You can schedule cleaning runs. Most robotic vacuums can now be scheduled to run as many as 7 times a week. You can set it and forget it.
- It can keep your office clean, too. A robotic vacuum is not just for the home; you can use it in your office as well, in case the weekly cleaning service leaves a bit to be desired.
- It allergy-proofs your home: Many robotic vacuums come with built-in HEPA filters that all but eliminate the dust and dander that can cause allergies.
How to Choose the Best Robotic Vacuum for Tile Floors?
With the growing number of robotic vacuums on the market, it can be confusing to select a model that is just right for you. It is normal, especially for first-time buyers, to struggle with making a decision. Here are some tips on how to narrow down your choices.
- Size and shape: Look at your home and figure out what kind of robotic vacuum cleaner would work best in that environment. If there is a lot of open space, you want a bigger vacuum with a long battery life, so that cleaning the floors won’t take forever. If you have a lot of furniture, you want a flat, small model that can maneuver around and vacuum under these “obstacles.”
- Battery life: Sooner or later, every robotic vacuum must recharge. It is a nuisance for that to happen in the middle of a cleaning run. So look for a vacuum with a long battery life and a short recharging cycle.
- Cleaning capability: Robotic vacuums are obviously designed to suck up dirt and dust off the floor. That is the whole point, and most models work very well on all different types of flooring. But if you are looking for a vacuum to clean your tile floors, then having a vacuum that can also mop is perfect. Below, you will find two models that come with a dedicated mopping feature.
- Your budget: You can pay as little as $200 or as much as $1,000 for a robotic vacuum. Decide which features are important to you—like Wi-fi connectivity or tangle-free brush rollers—and then decide how much you are willing to pay for them.
- App-friendly: Today, many robotic vacuums come with their own companion apps to control their cleaning schedules. Some can be synced with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, and some will map out which parts of the floor they have already cleaned. Expect this feature to change and expand in the near future.
Roomba 980: The Best Robotic Vacuum for Tile Floors
The Roomba 980 is the latest edition to iRobot’s line of robotic vacuums. It is powerful, fully programmable, and designed to clean any type of flooring available. It comes with its own app that lets you control the Roomba 980 from your smartphone. You can schedule cleaning runs, confine the vacuum to certain areas, or focus it on high-traffic areas that can quickly get dirty. The 980 is well suited for pet owners and people suffering from allergies. With its strong suction power and AeroForce High-Efficiency Filter, the Roomba 980 removes pet hair even from long-fiber carpets and remove allergens from every surface and the air. Check “iRobot Roomba 980 Review” article to get more detials.
- Advance location technology: The Roomba 980 uses the patented, advanced iAdapt 2.0 system. It allows the vacuum to map its work area, locate obstacles, and efficiently navigate your home.
- Wi-fi connectivity with voice control: The Roomba 980 can easily be connected to your Wi-fi network and is app-controlled. A particular attractive feature is the ability to remotely voice-control the device.
- Adaptable suction power: While several robotic vacuums come with different modes suitable for different types of floors, the Roomba 980 has sensors that let it automatically adjust its suction power. When the 980 transitions from tile to carpet, the suction power automatically increases by 10 percent. Overall, the Roomba 980 has up to 10 times more suction power compared to iRobot’s 600 and 700 models.
- Automatic recharge and resume: When the battery runs low, the Roomba 980 automatically returns to its charging station to dock itself and recharge. Once the battery is fully charged, it resumes its cleaning run.
- Outstanding performance: The Roomba 980 consistently performs well above average. It provides a thorough cleaning every time it runs. Regular cleaning extends the life of your flooring, whether it is tile or carpet. Compare to Roombas’ old models, the suction power is 10x more than 700 series & 600 series, and 5x more than Roomba 800 series and Roomba 960, becaues it use GEN 3 poower. Meanwhile, the 900 series is smartest for it’s iAdapt 2.0 plus vSLAM (visual simultaneous localization and mapping), it could navigate your entire room up to 2000 ft² (185 m²).
- Outstanding convenience: With the ability to schedule cleaning runs, and the vacuum’s automatic recharge feature, the Roomba 980 is an efficient cleaning solution that requires little work on your part. As long as the vacuum can easily reach its docking station to keep its batteries recharged, it is always ready to clean your home.
- Outstanding technology: With Wi-Fi connectivity and app control, all you need is a smartphone to control your vacuum no matter where you are. You can assign cleaning runs, track its progress, and verify your house is clean at any time of the day. With its highly sensitive location sensors and camera, the Roomba 980 is the most intelligent robotic vacuum currently on the market.
- Outstanding versatility: The Roomba 980 is designed to get into every corner of your home. Its ability to go under furniture and adjust to different types of dirt that need to be cleaned up make it more versatile and convenient than a conventional vacuum cleaner. And it does so without the use of cumbersome attachments.
- Cost: The Roomba 980 is not a cheap vacuum, but once you take into account the time you will save and the outstanding results, it becomes obvious that the price is well worth it.
- Small collection bin: The Roomba 980 is a small, versatile robotic vacuum, and its collection bin is size-appropriate. That means it fills up quickly—and consequently needs to be emptied frequently. However, regular cleaning runs will keep your home consistently clean, so after a few days, there will be less dirt to pick up overall.
- Battery life: While the Roomba 980 can work for up to 12 hours a day, its battery discharges relatively quickly. However, it also charges quickly, so interruptions of its cleaning runs don’t last long.
|iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum - Wi-Fi - Alexa - Good for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors||1,900 Reviews||Check Price|
A Perfect Bundle: Robotic Vacuum + Robotic Mopping
In addition to a variety of robotic vacuums, iRobot also offers the Braava, which combines a vacuum with a mop feature. While it can replace neither a full-power vacuum or a traditional mop, the Braava gives you the option to schedule daily vacuum and mopping runs. This will make your in-depth cleaning go much faster because there is less dirt overall to remove.
The Braava 380t has a unique setup that allows you clean with both dry and wet cloths. The microfiber pads used during the dry-cleaning runs attract and collect dirt. Once this process is done, you can switch the settings to wet mopping to have the 380t pick up any dust and allergens that might have been left in mind during the dry run. At the same time, the wet mopping run will polish the floors. Keep in mind that this device has been specifically designed for hard flooring—tile, wood, marble, and linoleum. It will not work on carpet.
This is why combining a robotic vacuum with the Braava 380t is a perfect cleaning solution for a home with tile floors. If you combine the Roomba 980 with the Braava 380t, there will be very little cleaning left for you to do manually.
- Northstar navigation: This cube-shaped device uses a GPS signal to map your floors and keep track of which areas have already been cleaned. Essentially, it functions as the robot’s eyes. You need to place it within the area you want the Braava to clean for it to work efficiently.
- Superior cleaning power: Because the Braava 380t has been specifically designed to work on hard-surface floors, it does so with great efficiency. In the dry sweeping mode, you use a white microfiber towel, and in the wet mopping mode, you use a blue towel. This difference in color ensures you will never confuse the two modes. Both cleaning pads are reusable.
- Easy controls: There is no need to worry about confusing controls with this robotic mop. It has only three buttons: one on the right for sweeping, one on the left for mopping, and one in the middle to turn it on and off. There is no remote control or Wi-fi connectivity.
- Removable cleaning pads: The two types of cleaning towels you use with the Braava 380t easily attach and detach via a magnetic setup.
- Turbo charge: The Braava 380t can sweep up to 1,000 ft.2 and mop up to 350 ft2. After this, it will recharge in only 2 hours to resume its cleaning run, if necessary.
- It works great on tile and other hard flooring, like wood, marble, and laminate.
- It uses a GPS signal to clean in an efficient pattern.
- The microfiber towels are reusable, so you can use them more than once before throwing them out.
- The interface is designed for easy control.
- You cannot control it remotely or schedule cleaning runs ahead of time.
- It does not automatically return to its charging station. You have to make sure the battery gets recharged.
- The cleaning towels are small, so the Braava 380t is not an efficient solution for a large home.
- It is not powerful enough to handle large spills or big messes.
|iRobot Braava 380t Robotic Mop NorthStar Navigation Cube Maintain your Hard Floors||1,935 Reviews||Check Price|
5 Additional Robotic Vacuums Good for Tile Floors
Now that you have a better idea of what features are available and how to select a robotic vacuum, let’s get specific. You are looking for an appliance that can reliably pick up dirt, debris, crumbs, and pet hair off your tile flooring. So here are the models we like best for that particular job.
|Robotic Vacuum||iRobot Roomba 890||Neato Botvac D80||Samsung POWERbot R7040||Shark ION Robot 750||ECOVACS DEEBOT M81Pro|
|Dimensions||13 x 13 x 3.6 in.||12.7 x 13.2 x 3.9 in.||13.7 x 13.4 x 3.8 in.||12.6 x 12.6 x 2.6 in.||13.7 x 13.7 x 3.1 in.|
|Weight||8.4 lbs.||9 lbs.||8.8 lbs.||5.5 lbs.||7 lbs.|
|Run Time||60 min.||60 min.||60 min.||60 min.||100 min.|
|Bin Size||0.6 L||0.7 L||0.3 L||0.3 L||0.5 L|
|Cleaning System||AeroForce three-stage cleaning system||Advanced SpinFlow Power Clean||CycloneForce technology||Detangling technology||Five-stage cleaning system with 4 modes|
|Navigation Technology||iAdapt navigation with advanced sensors||Patented LaserSmart technology||Visionary mapping and FullView 2.0 sensor||Smart sensor navigation with infrared sensors||Obstacle detection with infrared anti-drop sensors|
|Brushes||Tangle-free multi-surface and edge-sweeping brushes||Side-spinning, spiral blade, and combo brushes||Wide motorized brushes||Side brushes, plus one large motorized brush||V-shaped main and 4 side brushes|
|For Pet Owners||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Accessories||Charging station, virtual wall barrier, filter, owner’s manual||Standard filter, additional spiral blade and side brushes, charging base, power cord, boundary markers, brush and filter cleaning tools||Remote control, replacement filter, docking station, power cord, charger, optional boundary markers||Remote control, replacement HEPA filter, side brushes, charging station, boundary connectors, cleaning tool||Charging station, remote control, main and side brushes, HEPA filter, both wet and dry cleaning cloths|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year||1 year||1 year|
iRobot Roomba 890
Just like the Roomba 980, the Roomba 890 can also be voice-controlled via the iRobot Home app. It can also be synced with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, giving you maximum control. Its rubber brushes prevent clogs and tangles that might negatively impact the performance of the vacuum. Virtual wall barriers let you control the areas you want the appliance to focus on during its cleaning runs.
- iAdapt navigation technology: The Roomba 890 uses advanced iAdapt navigation technology. With it, the vacuum maps out the floor plan and its cleaning route. It helps the vacuum navigate around obstacles and avoid bumping into furniture and walls.
- Dirt detection technology: Like other iRobot vacuums, the Roomba 890 is built around optical and acoustic sensors specifically designed to detect dirt. The dirtier the floor, the more time the Roomba 890 spends on cleaning that part of the floor.
- AeroVac technology: The Roomba 890 has several different, strategically placed brushes. The rotating brushes loosen and lift the dirt off the floor, and a powerful motor helps to suck it up into the dust bin. A special debris extractor makes the Roomba a very good vacuum for your tile floors. Built-in HEPA filters ensure that allergens and dust particles stay inside the vacuum.
- Easy remote control: The iRobot mobile app, Amazon Alexa compatibility, and tech support make operating the Roomba 890 very easy. You can remotely schedule cleaning runs, track the vacuum’s progress, and start or stop the appliance at will.
- Wi-fi connectivity and voice control make it easy to control, even when you’re far away.
- The suction power does not decrease as the battery discharges.
- It has a powerful motor that runs with surprisingly little noise.
- Specialized rubber rollers make it especially effective for cleaning hard surfaces like tile and wood.
- You can quickly detach the full dust bin from the robot, but it’s easy to spill the dirty contents during the process.
- Top-of-the-line features and exceptional performance increase the cost of the Roomba 890.
- It does not come with a mapping feature, so you can’t follow its cleaning progress.
Neato Robotics Botvac D80
The Botvac D80 is one of the latest models available from Neato Robotics. It is a good-sized vacuum, but it is not too big to comfortably handle. It has touch-screen controls on the top and several small rollers underneath to keep it moving smoothly over uneven floors and changing floorings. It can effortlessly transition from soft carpet and linoleum to hardwood and tile. If you are looking for a reliable and easy-to-operate robotic vacuum and don’t require remote operation or Wi-fi connectivity, then the D80 should definitely be on your list.
- Patented technology: The Neato D80 is equipped with smart mapping and navigation systems that scan and map your home and clean it methodically.
- Laser-smart efficiency: Neato’s patented QNX operating system works with the built-in navigation system to work around obstacles and efficiently vacuum every part of your home.
- Corner-clever design: The D-shaped D80 is designed to fit into corners and reach hard-to-clean areas.
- Power suction: Powerful suction combined with a variety of brushes located in a highly efficient pattern ensure that every speck of dirt gets swept into the dust bin and stays there.
- Auto-charge and resume: The D80 automatically returns to its charging base when the battery runs low and resumes its cleaning run once the battery is fully charged.
- Large dust bin: The D80 has a surprisingly large dust bin. This means it can hold more dirt than other models before it is time for you to empty the bin.
- The D80 has a highly efficient navigation system.
- Laser technology allows the D80 to operate even in dim light.
- Strategically placed side brushes ensure that no crumb escapes the vacuum.
- It comes with 2 brushes designed to pick up hair and vacuum long-fiber carpet.
- You can restrict access to certain areas of your home by setting boundary markings.
- It runs on a NiCad battery that cannot be recycled.
- It has trouble operating on dark floors. (Its sensors think they are “cliffs.”)
- It comes with a high price tag.
|Neato Robotics Botvac D80 - D Shape Design - Good for Pet Hair and Allergies||1,727 Reviews||Check Price|
Samsung POWERbot R7040
Samsung’s POWERbot is a slim vacuum that combine top-of-the-line mapping and navigation systems with efficient cleaning capabilities. It quickly adapts to different type of floorings and has no trouble cleaning edges and corners. Its suction power makes vacuuming tiles especially efficient. It can be synced with Amazon’s Alexa for remote operation.
- Superior mapping and sensor technology: The R7040 reliably cleans your entire floor and transitions well from tile to carpet flooring. Its sensors map out the most efficient cleaning path and adjust to the changing landscape whenever you move your furniture. The app provides you with a coverage map so you can see which areas of your home has already been cleaned.
- Powerful suction: The R7040 delivers consistently strong suction for up to 60 minutes before it needs to recharge. Its patented CycloneForce technology provides consistent power and prevents clogging.
- Edge master: The R7040 is designed to thoroughly clean every corner and edge in your home. It features the widest brushes of the models introduced here, so it can clean a larger surface area in less time.
- Wi-fi connectivity: The R7040 comes with its own app, but you can also sync it with Amazon Alexa to voice-control the vacuum.
- It is slim enough to fit under most types of furniture.
- Efficient room mapping means quick and thorough cleaning.
- The built-in camera that maps your floors works in the dark, so you can run the vacuum at any time day or night.
- The motor runs extremely quietly.
- Its edge-cleaning ability is superior to that of other models.
- The dust bin is not very large, but you can easily empty and clean it.
- While its camera enables this vacuum to work in the dark, its sensors sometimes have trouble detecting black furniture. This means the vacuum will then run into it.
- There are times when the battery discharges in less than the 60 minutes that are advertised.
- It sometimes randomly loses its app connection, which disrupts your ability to control the vacuum.
|Samsung POWERbot R7040 Voice Control with Alexa Powerful Suction (20X more) - WiFi - Good at Edge...||178 Reviews||Check Price|
Shark ION Robot 750
The Shark Ion 750 is particularly easy to operate. It comes with built-in Wi-fi capability and an app and can be smartphone-controlled. This means you can control and program the vacuum from anywhere. No need to worry if you forgot to program a cleaning run! It also has a smart navigation system and the technology to keep its brushes tangle-free and clean. This latter feature makes it an ideal vacuum for tile floors. Without tangles or clogs, the air will always get sucked into the vacuum, and you don’t have to worry about the dirt simply being blown across your tile floors.
- Remote control: This robotic vacuum can not only be controlled via its own app, but also via Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. This means you can start a cleaning run whenever you feel like it, rather than having to program it ahead of time.
- Smart navigation: The Ion 750 is built around a number of highly sensitive sensors that allow it to navigate even crowded spaces. It continuously adapts to new or changing surroundings and transitions effortlessly from one type of flooring to another.
- Tangle-free cleaning: The Ion 750 features an innovative self-cleaning system that automatically detangles long hairs, strings, or fibers from its brushes. This ensures a consistently high cleaning performance. The dual spinning side brushes make this vacuum especially efficient on tile flooring.
- Slim design: The Ion 750 is a particularly thin robotic vacuum that is sure to fit under most furniture in your home.
- It has a superior navigation system that works well in rooms with many pieces of furniture.
- Its app is very easy to use.
- It automatically recharges when the lithium-ion battery runs low.
- It operates in a seemingly random and unreliable cleaning pattern.
- It has trouble picking up larger pieces of debris.
- It only comes with one cleaning mode.
|Shark ION RV750 - WiFi - Alexa - Dual-Action Good for Carpets and Hard Floors||951 Reviews||Check Price|
ECOVACS DEEBOT M81
The Deebot M81 is a thin, round robotic vacuum that efficiently cleans your home. You can set the cleaning pattern and select a cleaning mode, depending on whether you want to have it vacuum an entire room, spot-clean a particular area, or clean a big mess. What sets the M81 apart is its ability to sweep, vacuum, and mop in one pass. This all-around cleaning capability truly is unique.
- Multiple cleaning modes: Before you schedule a cleaning run, select which mode the vacuum should use. The auto cleaning mode is for the most energy-efficient, everyday cleaning; the spot-cleaning mode is for areas with lots of dirt and dust, and the edge-cleaning mode is for cleaning along edges and in corners.
- Long-lasting battery: With almost 1.5 hours of cleaning in auto cleaning mode, the M81 has the longest-lasting battery of the models introduced here. It automatically returns to its charging station when the battery runs low and resumes cleaning when fully charged.
- Intelligent detection technology: With 10 groups of sensors, the M81 will navigate your home without problems. It won’t bump into furniture or fall down the stairs.
- Wi-fi connectivity: You can easily control the M81 via your smartphone. You can monitor its progress, schedule cleaning runs, and program it to run at a set time on a daily basis.
- Perfect for tile floors and pet owners: The V-shaped main brush ensures that all dirt and dust is sucked into the dust bin. On tile floors, the main brush retreats so that neither human nor animal hair can get tangled around it.
- The M81 comes with a myriad of standard features without significantly increasing its price tag.
- Wi-fi connectivity and remote control give you complete, around-the-clock access to the vacuum.
- The M81 can easily be fitted with a mop for a thorough, deep clean of hard floorings.
- Although it has an edge-cleaning mode, the M81 does not always perform well when it comes to cleaning the corners of a room.
- At times, the mop is not as effective as one might wish.
|ECOVACS DEEBOT M81 Pro V-shaped Tangle Free Power Suction - WiFi - Good for Low-pile Carpet, Bare...||105 Reviews||Check Price|
Let’s summarize why we like the five models introduced in this post.
- The Roomba 890 is a great robotic vacuum. It is more expensive than other models, but the extra money is worth it. You can rely on its superior quality and performance, no matter what type of flooring you have in your home. The flexibility you get with the remote app control makes this an attractive choice for busy people on the go.
- Neato’s Botvac D80 gives you the most bang for your buck. It cleans very well and navigates effortlessly. It has no trouble picking up pet hair and cookie crumbs. While a little pricier than other models, the D80 is a great choice for any shopper who is looking for a great deal.
- Samsung’s POWERbot R7040 is an efficient navigator that cleans two to five times faster than other models because of its excellent laser and mapping technology. If you are looking for a solid vacuum that is sure to clean every corner of your home, this is it.
- Shark’s ION Robot 750 is easy to operate, even without consulting its detailed user manual. It works well on both tile and hardwood flooring. The ability to control it via Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa is a pleasant feature, considering its low price tag.
- Ecovacs’ Deebot M81 Pro is easy to use and comes with a decent number of built-in features. It might not be as efficient on carpet or work as quickly as other models, but it functions well on tile floors and is a good choice for shoppers with a limited budget.