If you have a pet, you know about the constant battle against pet hair. Once you have cleaned your home, pet hair magically reappears, almost taunting you. It ends up in furniture, clothing, washers and dryers, and collects silently in every corner of your home. Vacuums are effective in sucking up pet hair and new vacuums provide a range of options to make the process easy. But how do you find the right and best vacuum for your house?
How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
Many vacuums on the market advertise strong vacuuming ability and performance, but to get more out of your purchase be sure to choose one that is highly rated for pet hair. It will have the right inner and outer tools to do the job right. Here are to also be aware of when buying…
- Bagless vs Bag Vacuums
Many vacuums still use bags to hold pet hair, dander, dust, and anything else they can find. More vacuums are moving toward bagless technology, allowing for an easier clean between vacuum sessions, but be sure to look for is advanced seal technology that keeps the dirt inside during operation. The bagless technology is so good on some models the vacuums are rated as safe for allergies.
- Noise Level
If you own a pet, you know vacuums are not their friends. And honestly, vacuums aren’t the most relaxing items for humans either. Many vacuums excel in being quiet on the job and receive high ratings from reviewers due to this feature.
- Tools and quality of brushes
Many vacuums that excel in pet hair come with specializes brushes and tools for the job. The more tools the better. They work to pull in pet hair and allow for maximum versatility in vacuuming. Special agitating tools allow you the freedom to track down hair and suck them up properly.
- Power Strength
The more power the vacuum has, the less pet hair can escape and hide in areas like thick carpets. Pet hair loves to tangle itself in anything it can, clinging for dear life. Strong sucking vacuums suck the hair up without a chance of escape, pulling deeply and loosening them from their surroundings to keep them from hiding in the darkest and furthest places.
Having a vacuum that is clunky and hard to navigate means you won’t maneuver into areas that are challenging, which is where pet hair will thrive. Vacuums with tight turning radiuses and maximum versatility such as converting to a handheld make cleaning easy, allowing you to easily glide behind table legs, under sofas and cabinets, and between couch cushions.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair
- 2 Best Vacuum for dog hair
- 3 Best Dyson Vacuum for Pet Hair
- 4 Best Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair
- 5 Conclusion – User Choosing Guide
Best Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair
In our never-ending battle against pet hair, one style of vacuum is proving to be a strong tool to keep pet hair at bay with minimum effort. Robot vacuums are doing most of the work for us on a daily basis, calmly searching our homes for dust, dirt, pollen and pet hair.
Two products distinguish themselves in this category: the iRobot Roomba 690 and the iRobot Roomba 960.
Best Value Roomba
Best Value Roomba
iRobot Roomba 690 – Best Value
One vacuum in particular stands out from the crowd: the Roomba 690, the latest version with WiFi feature of Roomba 600 seires. The 690 comes with all the features we need in a robot vacuum: It has Wi-Fi capability, special brushes to track down pet hair, and sweeping brushes that attack corners of rooms where hair loves to collect. The robot’s slim design fits under furniture, cleaning areas you can’t easily reach. Intelligent sensors allow it to glide smoothly with minimal stalling and prevent it from falling over edges or down stairs. You can schedule cleaning whenever you want by using an app or Amazon Alex and Google Assistant. It has a long running time of 90 minutes and automatically docks itself for charging.
People are so happy with the Roomba 690, it has over 4 stars on Amazon from a whopping 3,000 reviewers. The 600 series Roombas are entry-level which are cheaper than the high-end models Roomba 800 series and 900 series. But, still the Roomba 600 series still has good cleaning performance, this is a robot you can trust.
- The vacuum takes the hassle out of cleaning, allowing you to do other things.
- Its smart technology allows you to control it through apps or Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- The thin profile allows it to navigate under furniture such as sofas and beds for a thorough clean.
- This vacuum’s special sensors attach dirt, making it effective against hard wood floors, pet hair, and high traffic areas.
- Its long running time means less charging time between cleaning.
- Some users find it to be a bit noisy, though quieter than an upright vacuum.
- The vacuum is not as powerful as an upright vacuum, so use an upright once a week.
|iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum-Wi-Fi Connectivity, Works with Alexa, Good for Pet Hair, Carpets,...||11,170 Reviews||Check Price|
iRobot Roomba 960 – New version & Best Performance & Value
Like the 690 listed above, this vacuum is the next level. On top of the 690’s benefits, it offers a new, specially powered suction with increased power and a 3-stage cleaning system that loosens hair from floors. Specialized rubber brushes automatically adjust to maintain constant floor contact. Roomba 900 series are the latest version of Roomba vacuums, the model Roomba 960’s air suction power is 5x times than 600 series, and the 980 model is 10x times than 600 series. And its high efficiency filter traps 99% of allergens.
- The same user-free benefits as the 690 listed above.
- Power-Lifting Suction delivers improved suction performance.
- The Multi-Surface rubber brushes stay in contact with floors.
- Its advanced filter captures 99% of allergens.
- Improved navigation compared to earlier models.
- Frequent emptying is required due to a small dust bin.
- There is a need to clean the rollers due to tangled hair.
- This vacuum can leave balls of hair on the floor. Though it is good that it is pulling up the hair, picking up after it can be an unwelcome activity.
Best Vacuum for dog hair
Our fight against pet hair is strongest with dogs. They have longer hair than cats, and they shed constantly. If you have ever been in a home with a golden retriever, you know the issue. So, what vacuums works best against dog hair?
A good overall quality pet vacuum will do the trick. It needs strong suction to pick up hair from any surface. They often have a brush agitator to loosen hair wherever is clings. They have a vacuum bag or advanced bagless technology. It also should be quiet to not disrupt life too much for your dog.
These vacuums also have special pet tools and are easy to navigate in tight spades and awkward corners. They need to reach places pet hair loves to hide and grow, and the easier they are to use the easier the cleaning experience is for you.
SharkNinja Rotator Vacuum NV752 with Powered Life-Away and TruePet Technology
The NV752 is famous for incredibly powerful suction and effectively sucks up pet hair. These traits have garnered an Amazon’s Choice award and incredibly high reviews, averaging 4.5 stars out of 5 with a total quantity of 4,700 reviews. This vacuum has been seen in the hands of professional home cleaning companies.
The vacuum’s suction is so powerful, it has a special suction release valve to reduce suction. And it is relatively quiet, which your family and dog will appreciate. Its TruePet Motorized Brush is specially desiged to grab pet hair, and other tools make this vacuum and hair grabbing machine. The vacuum also does remarkably well on carpets and hard floors. And its Anti-Allergy technology and HEPA filter assures it grabs even the finest hairs and keeps them from escaping. If you are allergy Sensitive, check “how to choose the best vacuum for allergies” to get the right vacuum for you.
- Its TruePet Motorized Brush is designed to grab pet hair.
- It has rave reviews for its intense suction ability.
- It is a quiet vacuum, especially for the power.
- It has a strong turning ability and a smooth operation.
- The largest amount of complaints are in the weight (15 lbs).
- The vacuum can become clogged due to its strong suction.
- Some customers dislike the fact it blows warm air out of the rear.
|Shark NV752 Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum with HEPA Filter, Large Dust Cup...||12,836 Reviews||Check Price|
Best Dyson Vacuum for Pet Hair
Dyson is well known in the vacuum industry for producing quality vacuums that last and have the power you need for any job. This is often reflected in the price, but you can take advantage of its superior quality and performance.
Two vacuums are specifically designed for pet hair: The Dyson V10 Animal and the Dyson Ball Animal 2. Each has unique benefits.
Dyson V10 Animal Vacuum
The Dyson V10 Animal is the latest of the V series and now has more powerful suction than any other cordless vacuum on the market. Its battery also offers 20 minutes of fade-free runtime, allowing you to vacuum larger areas of your home.
It has a fully sealed filtration system that traps 99.97% of particles (basically 100%). It absorbs vacuum vibrations and dampens sound to be a quiet model for pets. And it’s versatile; with one click you can change it from a floor vacuum to a handheld. It is well balanced so you can reach higher areas comfortably, and it stores easily on a wall hanging charger. The vacuum also has special tools to reach around edges and narrow gaps, and a motorized brush that grabs pet hair in even tight spaces.
- Digs deeply into carpets for a strong clean.
- The vacuum quickly transforms to a handheld. Combining this trait with its cordless technology allows you to attacking any area of your home.
- Transfers torque easily with its balanced design, allowing you to reach under and around areas easily.
- Specially designed for pets through its us of special tools, strong suction, and reduced sound.
- Max mode only provides 6 minutes of suction, but you can still enjoy the increased power of this vacuum compared to other models, allowing for a total 20 minutes of fade-free vacuuming.
- Its cordless feature means you may not be able to vacuum your entire home on one charge.
- Corded vacuums, though less versatile, provide stronger suction.
|Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute Lightweight Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner||5,146 Reviews||Check Price|
Dyson Ball Animal 2 Vacuum
Where the cordless vacuum lacks, this Dyson upright vacuum excels. With corded power and an advanced motor, this is one of the strongest vacuums on the market. It has superior suction and advanced maneuverability and tools to vacuum every corner of your home. It transitions easily from carpets to hard floors. Its advanced sealed technology ensures what you vacuum up stays in it. And its specialized tangle-free tool allows you to suck up pet hair with less hassle. Corresponding to upright is canister vacuum, if the size is not limitation to you, you also could take a look at canister vacuum. Normally Canister vacuum are more powerful than upright vacuum.
- One of the strongest vacuums on the market today.
- Has a self-adjusting head that seals in everything it brings in.
- Multiple tools allow for versatility in cleaning.
- Its tangle-free tool effectively removes pet hair from any surface including carpets and upholstery.
- Easy to empty with the push of a button.
- Some reviewers find the suction to be a bit too strong.
- At 17 lbs, this is a heavy vacuum compared to other models.
- Some feedback shows it has trouble with thicker throw rugs.
- To keep cost down, the material on the body is a lower quality than previous models. This is balanced by remarkable suction ability.
|Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Ball Animal 2, Iron/Purple||4,954 Reviews||Check Price|
Best Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair
Handheld vacuums reach any hard-to-reach area of your home quickly and easily. They are battery powered and lightweight, allowing you to clean items like pillows and vertical areas of the home such as drapery. You can suck up pet hair on the fly without using a heavy and bulky vacuum. These vacuums are also a low-cost option and less noisy than full upright vacuums. These are also effective in cleaning cars where dog hair loves to live.
Here is a look at some of the highest rated handheld vacuums on the market.
Black and Decker DustBuster 16V CHV1410L
You have heard the expression Dust Buster before, and there’s a reason: Black and Decker produces a truly powerful product. It is battery powered and light weight (only 2.6 lbs). And it excels at picking up pet hair. Its specialized cyclone motor keeps its filter clean and its vacuum tubes open. This model is incredibly high rated on Amazon, scoring 4 out of 5 stars from an astounding 15,800 reviews.
This vacuum has a 20 to 30 minutes of running time, thanks to its smart charge technology that uses 50% less energy. It only takes 4-6 hours for a full charge. It is easy to empty and clean, and can pick up large or small debris, even dog food.
- Its light weight makes it easy to feely clean around the house.
- It’s strong at sucking up dog and cat hair. It is a true powerhouse in vacuum ability.
- Its lithium battery provides multiple years of use and a running time of 20 and 30 minutes between charges.
- Full charges only take 4 to 6 hours.
- Easy emptying and cleaning.
- Leaving the vacuum on the battery charger can damage the battery over time.
- Some parts don’t fit snugly enough, requiring reattachment.
- Though it is effective, it can be loud for some pets.
|BLACK+DECKER dustbuster AdvancedClean Cordless Handheld Vacuum (CHV1410L)||82,089 Reviews||Check Price|
Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum 2390A
Another good handheld is the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vacuum. It contains a specialized triple-filtration system for improved cleaning performance and pet tools that are effective on multiple surfaces, even carpets. There is a motorized brush, a crevice tool, and an upholstery brush to loosen hair from sofa fibers. This is a handheld that delivers on its promise of attacking pet hair.
This company definitely has pets in mind. It donates up to $10 for each purchase to their own pet foundation. They also offer a number of upright vacuums that are designed for pets that may be worth your time to consider. This is a company that knows a little something about pet hair.
- Superior performance against pet hair. If you have pet hair, you won’t after using this vacuum.
- It has strong suction for such a small vacuum.
- A large, easily removable dust bin makes emptying and cleaning easy.
- 20 minutes of running time.
- Triple level filtration keeps hair from becoming tangled to provide superior vacuum performance.
- Lots of tools to get the job done right.
- People complain about the battery life, though it isn’t shorter than many others on the market.
- For a new filter, you will need to purchase an entire assembly which costs about $12 plus shipping.
|Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum, Purple||28,431 Reviews||Check Price|
Conclusion – User Choosing Guide
With so many vacuum options, you may need an easier look at which to choose based on your needs. Here is an easy summary list to help with what you need….
- If you have issues of pet hair collecting on furniture and in cars, go with the Bissell 2390. It is small, easy to use compared to other models, and specifically designed for maximum performance against pet hair.
- For versatility in cleaning of stairs, drapes, walls, blinds, and furniture, use the Dyson V10 Animal vacuum. Its cordless design and one-click adjustment from a floor vacuum to a handheld make it easy to clean floors and those hard-to-reach areas.
- For superior performance on floors, whether it be hardwood or carpet, go with the SharkNinja Rotator Vacuum NV752. It has incredible suction while also being not as noisy as other vacuums.
- For day-in and day-out cleaning, robot vacuums are the right choice. The highest rated robot vacuum is the iRobot Roomba 690, it’s cheaper but still good at cleaning. This is partially due to its lifespan on the market, so if you are looking for increased performance you can opt for the 960. Enjoy watching these vacuums with a glass of wine as they clean your home, keeping pet hair down in between more thorough cleans once a week from an upright vacuum.