Your daily life is made easier with a number of essential appliances. Without a washer, dryer, and dishwasher, your routine would suddenly become a lot more complicated and time-consuming. One essential appliance that might not come to mind right away is a handheld vacuum cleaner. It is a vital tool that everyone should have around the house. And, of course, you’ll want to have the best handheld vacuum cleaner.
Handheld vacuums are invaluable for small, everyday cleaning jobs, but the best handheld vacuums are versatile enough to let you take care of medium-sized tasks both in and out of the home as well. Vacuum technology has changed rapidly in recent years. You might be surprised by how advanced some of the best portable vacuums are. Here, you’ll find up-to-date information about the latest models available. You will also learn about what to consider before selecting the handheld vacuum that is best for you.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are the Advantages of a Top Handheld Vacuum?
- 2 Which is the Best Handheld Vacuum?
- 3 Black + Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum
- 4 Black + Decker BDH2020FL 20V Max Lithium Vacuum Cleaner
- 5 Hoover Air BH52160PC 20V Lithium Handheld Vacuum
- 6 Black + Decker HHVI320JR02 Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum
- 7 Dyson V7 Trigger Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- 8 Eureka EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum Cleaner, Hand Vac Corded, 71B
- 9 Conclusion
What Are the Advantages of a Top Handheld Vacuum?
You might ask why you need a handheld vacuum, especially if you already own a full-sized version. But the versatility of a portable cleaner can hardly be beat. Here is a list of the advantages that come with a top portable vacuum cleaner:
- Easy to Use – A portable vacuum cleaner can be used by anyone in the house. They are so easy to operate that everyone in the house can use it with ease, without having to read complicated instructions first.
- Small and Compact – Most handheld vacuums are about half the size of a conventional vacuum cleaner. Some smart versions are small enough to fit in a pocket.
- Effective for Quick Cleanups – Because of their compact size, handheld vacuums are perfect for cleaning difficult-to-reach areas in your home.
- Easy to Carry – Because of their compact size, they can easily be carried around and stored. This is a great bonus, especially if you live in a small apartment.
- Rescue Lost Items – This is a little life hack which you may not know, but a handheld vacuum plus a pair of pantyhose can rescue tiny items from seemingly unreachable places.
- Maintain Easily – For example, if the modle is bagless, then you don’t need to buy extra equipment or stockpile bags. You only need to dump the dust in the trak, it’s very simple.
How to Choose a Portable Handheld Vacuum
How do you know which portable vacuum cleaner is best for you? Every person’s needs are different, so ask yourself what exactly you are looking for. Come up with a list of things your portable vacuum has to do. If you have pets or little kids, there will be lots of pet hair and crumbs to clean up. If your home has different types of flooring, you need a vacuum that performs well on all of them. Here’s a list of things you should consider when choosing the best handheld vacuum for your everyday needs:
How Heavy Is It?
The great advantage of a portable vacuum is that you can carry it wherever you need it. But if it is heavy, carrying it for a long time will be strenuous. A handheld vacuum with a self-propulsion mechanism is usually heavier than other models. Consider if this feature is worth the extra weight. Decide how much weight you can comfortably handle.
Does It Have a Power Cord?
Both corded and cordless vacuum cleaners have their advantages. Consider these pros and cons before you decide which works best for you.
If the vacuum cleaner has a power cord:
- It requires electricity to work.
- It is ready to work whenever you are.
- It needs a plug close to where you are vacuuming, or an extension cord.
If the vacuum cleaner is cordless:
- It is powered by a battery that needs to be recharged regularly.
- It can be carried to wherever you need to clean.
- It works until the batter runs out. Then you have to wait until the battery is charged before you can use it again.
- It has a limited life cycle, because rechargeable batteries don’t last forever. Ideally, the battery can be replaced, so that the vacuum doesn’t because useless once the battery dies.
How Long Is Your Typical Cleaning Task?
Consider this while you decide whether you want a corded or cordless vacuum cleaner. If you have a porch or deck or items in your garage to clean, then you are likely to need an extension cord to plug in a corded portable vacuum. A cordless handheld vacuum will be easier to carry around, but it is restricted by its battery’s run time. If you won’t vacuum for more than 10 to 20 minutes at a time, a cordless vacuum won’t run out of power. But if you want to clean your car or boat, then you’re better off with a corded cleaner that runs as long as you need it to.
The battery run time of a cordless portable vacuum cleaner varies from 5 to 30 minutes. This is a significant difference, so pay attention to it when you are looking at cordless vacuums. You should also consider how long it takes each model to fully recharge. No one wants to have to wait a full day before being able to vacuum again.
Is It Bagged or Bagless?
A bagless vacuum cleaner sucks dust and dirt into a container that you need to empty and clean once it is full. A bagged vacuum uses a bag you need to replace every time it is full. Both versions work equally well, and both tasks are easy to perform. Decide which you prefer doing before picking a handheld vacuum.
What Is Its Dust Bin Capacity?
The amount of dust a handheld vacuum can hold varies, so it’s worth looking at the capacity of each model. The bigger the dust bin, the longer you can vacuum without emptying it. Remember that a portable vacuum by design has a smaller capacity than a full-sized one—usually around 0.5 liters as opposed to up to 5 liters.
What Accessories Does It Come With?
The number and type of accessories that you get with a handheld vacuum cleaner varies. Usually, they come with a crevice tool for small spaces and a soft brush for delicate surfaces. Vacuum cleaners specifically designed for pet owners usually come with a special upholstery tool that can get pet hair and dander off your furniture. A rechargeable vacuum cleaner always comes with a charging station. This can be a dock for the floor or tabletop, or a wall mount that doubles as a place to store the appliance. It is up to decide which accessories are essential to you. Then check whether they are included or whether you have to purchase them separately.
Is There an Extended Warranty?
It goes without saying that the longer the warranty, the better.
Most manufacturers offer a one-year warranty on certain replaceable parts of their appliance. However, some brands extend their warranty for certain models to up to two years, which means the manufacturer has more faith in the quality of the product.
So when you choose a vacuum cleaner, remember to check the warranty.
Which is the Best Handheld Vacuum?
Now you know the advantages of a handheld vacuum. While they don’t quite have the cleaning power of a full-size one, their portability makes up for that. You also know what to consider before buying a top handheld vacuum. To make the decision even easier for you, we listed six best handheld vacuums:
- Black + Decker BDH2000PL Max Lithium Pivot Vacuum 20V
- Black + Decker BDH2020FL 20V Max Lithium Vacuum Cleaner
- Hoover Air BH52160PC 20V Lithium Handheld Vacuum
- Black + Decker HHVI320JR02 Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum
- Dyson V7 Trigger Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- Eureka EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum Cleaner, Hand Vac Corded, 71B
Black + Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum
This handheld vacuum is one of the top products on the market this year.
What You Need to Know
- The most noticeable feature of this appliance is its pivoting nozzle. This unique design increases the overall power. It enables you to reach very hard-to-reach places like under cupboards and on top of fan blades.
- The curved handle fits well into your hand. It is easy to grip and hold. This is also where the push button is located that turns the vacuum on and off.
- The high-performance motor features cyclonic spin action and a three-stage filtration system.
- The filter pops out easily, so that you can clean the dust bowl. The filter is washable.
- Both the brush tool and the crevice tool can quickly be pulled out to make this a very versatile appliance.
- The battery is lithium-ion which is rechargeable. The charging time only needs a few hours, even if you completely drain the battery. It is also replaceable, so you can use the vacuum cleaner for years to come.
- It is easy to clean.
- Its pivoting nozzle is great for tiny, out-of-the-way spaces.
- The motor is noisy.
|BLACK+DECKER 20V Max Handheld Vacuum, Cordless, Grey (BDH2000PL)||13,529 Reviews||Check Price|
Black + Decker BDH2020FL 20V Max Lithium Vacuum Cleaner
This is another top-rated vacuum cleaner from Black + Decker. It has several exceptional characteristics that help you clean even the smallest corners in your home.
What You Need to Know
- The vacuum incorporates the latest lithium technology. This means the vacuum’s suction power is above average. Meanwhile it has a high-performance motor, so it is able to suck up pet hair, small pebbles, and crumbs for a truly enhanced cleaning performance.
- A flexible hose makes for an eye-catching design. It also makes this vacuum ideal for cleaning hard-to-reach places. You can carry the vacuum in one hand and move the hose around with the other one easily. The hose itself is 4 feet long, and with the included attachments, its reach is even longer. You can clean the top of cupboards, the length of your curtains, and areas below your furniture easily.
- With a press of a button, you can remove the filter to wash it. You can just as easily reinstall it, once it has completely dried. The filter is conveniently located on the side.
- The 20-volt lithium-ion battery runs for about 20 minutes. The suction power stays strong until the battery is fully discharged. It takes a few hours to recharge in the included charging base.
- The three-stage filtration system captures all dust and debris.
- It has a washable and easy-to-empty filter.
- It has a large dust bin.
- While relatively quiet overall, the motor can be surprisingly noisy at times.
|BLACK+DECKER 20V Max Flex Handheld Vacuum with Pet Hair Brush, Cordless, Grey (BDH2020FL)||3,155 Reviews||Check Price|
Hoover Air BH52160PC 20V Lithium Handheld Vacuum
This vacuum cleaner is surprisingly powerful, able to suck up pet hair from shaggy carpets and caked-on dirt from door mats. The built-in brush loosens even deep-seated dirt.
What You Need to Know
- The curved handle fits very comfortably into the user’s palm. The filter is small and requires cleaning after every 5 runs. It has to air dry before you can reinstall it. This can take several hours.
- The vacuum has a powered turbo tool. It is designed to give the vacuum some additional suction. The included crevice tool helps you clean tight spots. It can access small corners and even fits under the seats in your car.
- A slim design and a weight of just 2.1 lbs. make the Hoover Air truly portable and easy to carry around the home.
- The lithium battery takes 9 to 12 hours to fully charge. Should you forget to set it on its charger, it is unlikely to be available if you need it in a pinch. But the three LED lights on the battery pack show you how much power is left. They serve as a reminder for when it is time for a battery recharge.
- The battery has a long life cycle.
- It is quiet.
- It comes with two handy attachments: the Turbo Tool and the Crevice Tool.
- You need to clean the filter after every 5 uses.
- The battery takes a long time to charge.
- The seal around the air vent sometimes lets out some of the dust the vacuum sucked in.
|Hoover Air Cordless 20V Lithium Ion Bagless Hand Vacuum Cleaner||543 Reviews||Check Price|
Black + Decker HHVI320JR02 Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum
The Dustbuster can effectively vacuum up sawdust from hard floors and carpets. In fact, its suction power comes close to that of a corded vacuum. This is an impressive feature.
What You Need to Know
- This vacuum can efficiently clean up both light debris in your home and bigger messes in your car or boat. It is a versatile vacuum cleaner for every space of your home.
- With its strong suction power, it can remove dirt and dust from any type of surface with ease and precision. The user-friendly controls of the device make it easy to operate.
- It’s a lightweight vacuum that won’t tire you out while you are cleaning.
- The lithium battery lasts a respectable 15 minutes with each charge.
- This is the quietest handheld vacuum of this group.
- It comes with a wall mount for easy storage.
- It comes with both a crevice and a brush tool. Both are built into the vacuum’s main body.
- The dirt bowl is highly visible, so you know when to empty it. A release button lets you discard the debris into your garbage can.
- It has a tough time sucking up pet hair that is embedded in the carpet.
- It takes 8 hours to fully charge.
- Unlike other portable vacuums, there is no flexible hose.
- The vacuum mouth is not especially wide, so larger pieces of dirt might not get sucked up right away.
|BLACK+DECKER dusbuster Handheld Vacuum, Cordless, Magic Blue (HHVI320JR02)||27,374 Reviews||Check Price|
Dyson V7 Trigger Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson’s design and power is a step above its competition. If you are willing to pay the price, this handheld vacuum will not let you down, no matter where you use it.
- The V7 Trigger is powered by Dyson’s signature digital motor. The suction power is exceptional; it can suck up everything from pet hair and dander to dust particles and large crumbs.
- The V7 Trigger uses the latest digital motor, so it has the same powerful suction as other Dyson models. In addition, it has a green HEPA filtration system that will trap allergens that pass through the vacuum’s exhaust. The air that comes out of the cleaner is always cleaner than the air that is sucked in.
- The filter can capture 99.97% of particles, even those as small as 0.3 microns.
- The battery lasts 30 minutes. You have the option to increase the suction by switching to MAX mode, in which case the battery life is cut in half.
- It is quieter than most vacuums.
- It is smaller and lighter than other portable cleaners.
- It has superior suction power and comes with HEPA filtration.
- It is considerably more expensive than other handheld vacuums.
|Dyson V7 Trigger Cord-Free Handheld Vacuum Cleaner||1,622 Reviews||Check Price|
Eureka EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum Cleaner, Hand Vac Corded, 71B
The Eureka EasyClean is a versatile, powerful vacuum with an affordable price tag.
What You Need to Know
- With two motors, one for vacuuming, and the other one for powering the brush roll, this cleaner is a great choice for anybody looking for a compact handheld vacuum.
- This vacuum comes with a unique Riser Visor that lets you adjust the appliance to the surface you are cleaning. If you flip up the visor, the brush roll beneath it let you clean carpets, upholstery, and curtains. When it’s time to clean solid surfaces like wooden or tiled floors and countertops and tables, you flip the visor down to turn off the brush roll.
- The included crevice tool lets you clean places that are too small or too tight for the brush roll to reach.
- The EasyClean is a corded vacuum cleaner. The cord can be an inconvenience if you plan to vacuum your vehicle or outdoor furniture. But the vacuum includ hose extends the reach, even if you put it down.
- The brush tool is integrated and works well on carpet. It can be turned off while you are cleaning hard flooring like tile or hardwood.
- It effectively sucks up pet hair from any type of surface.
- The powerful motor was quite loud.
|Eureka EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum Cleaner, Hand Vac Corded, 71B, EasyClean-Yellow||9,889 Reviews||Check Price|
Now you know about the 6 best handheld vacuum cleaners. As you can see, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all model that’s the best; you have to look at your needs. It is important that you figure out what you require your portable vacuum to do, and then choose the right model.
- For homes with mainly carpet, the Dyson V7 Trigger is the best option. It has the most powerful direct-drive cleaner head and is very good for deep-cleaning even long carpet fibers.
- To remove pet hair on upholstery, you’ll need something that won’t clog up easily and has enough power to suck up pet hair. Consider the Black + Decker BDH2020FL Pet Hair Brush.
- If you primarily want to clean your vehicle, look for something small and lightweight such as the Hoover Air, which comes with a powered turbo tool to give you a suction boost.
- If your budget and overall usefulness are your top priority, the Black + Decker Pivot Vac 20V Max with its competitive suction power, battery life, and weight is a good choice.