No matter how much we love our pets, we have all had times when we have secretly cursed all the hair our furry friends leave behind. With their endless love comes an equally endless amount of pet hair—on the rugs, the sofas, the chairs, and the beds. In addition to the hair, pet owners also have to deal with dander, which can be harmful to the health of people with allergies. So, a powerful vacuum cleaner is essential for every pet owner, and in recent years, the number of vacuum cleaners specifically designed to deal with pet hair has grown substantially, particularly the number of cordless ones.
Table of Contents
- 1 Should You Get a Cordless Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner?
- 2 How to Choose a Cordless Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
- 3 Best of Best: Dyson V10 Animal Cordless Vacuum – Lightweight & Powerful
- 4 Best Value Upright: Shark Navigator Freestyle – Cordless & Bagless SV1106
- 5 2-in-1 Stick Vacuum: Electrolux Ergorapido Petcare EL3230A – Removeable Handheld Part
- 6 2-in-1 Upright Vacuum: BLACK+DECKER HCUA525JP – Powerful &
- 7 Handheld Cordless Vacuum: Bissel Pet Hair Eraser
- 8 Conclusion
Should You Get a Cordless Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner?
There is no question that people who share their home with one or more cats or dogs need a vacuum cleaner specifically designed to deal with pet hair. These cleaners come with beater brushes that specialize in loosening pet hair from a variety of surfaces—which is essential when vacuuming rugs or upholstery. Further, pet hair vacuums have superior suction that quickly whisks pet hair into the vacuum’s dust bin, so there is no need to worry about the brush or hose getting clogged with the hair that gets sucked up.
The question then becomes whether a cordless pet hair vacuum cleaner is better than a corded one. The answer depends on the user’s individual needs, but consider the following:
- A cordless vacuum cleaner usually weighs several pounds less than a corded one. Thus, they are easier to move around the house. It is easy to lift them up to vacuum a couch or part of the wall.
- Cordless cleaners can be taken anywhere. It’s no problem to vacuum the car once the house is hair-free.
- There is no danger of the power cord getting tangled. There is also no need to worry about someone tripping over the cord while the vacuum cleaner is in use.
- As long as the battery is charged, a cordless vacuum can be used during power outages.
- A cordless vacuum cleaner is usually less powerful than a corded one.
- Since a cordless vacuum runs on battery power, eventually, the vacuum will run out of power and needs to be recharged. Towards the end of a charge, the suction power of the vacuum will start to vary.
- Cordless cleaners do not come with a HEPA filter, which might be important to people who suffer from allergies.
How to Choose a Cordless Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
Once you have decided to go with a cordless pet hair vacuum—the lightweight and portability certainly make it an attractive option—keep this in mind:
- How long does the battery power the vacuum cleaner? In recent years, batteries have become more and more powerful. Still, you don’t want to run out of power halfway through the cleaning. The batteries need a few hours to recharge, and having to interrupt the cleaning process for that long can be a big inconvenience for your busy life.
- How strong is the suction? A dedicated pet hair vacuum is a significant investment, so you want superior suction. What good is a pet hair vacuum if it doesn’t suck up all the hair the first time around?
- How big is the dust bin? If you have a cat or dog with longer hair, you want to make sure that the dust bin of the handheld vacuum cleaner can hold a large volume of hair. It would be very inconvenient if you had to stop cleaning to empty the dust bin.
- Are there any attachments? Some vacuum cleaners come with special attachments that make cleaning hard-to-reach areas even easier. Some are specifically designed to vacuum different types of floors. However, some of them may be unnecessary and simply take up space.
In short, choose the vacuum cleaner with the longest battery life, the strongest suction, and a large dust bin for optimal cleaning success. Whether or not you want to deal with additional attachments is a personal preference and entirely up to you.
The five options discussed below have all proven to be superior cordless vacuum cleaners designed to deal with pet hair.
|Model||Dyson V10 Animal||Shark Navigator Freestyle||Electrolux Ergorapido Petcare EL3230||BLACK+DECKER POWERSERIES PRO 2in1 Pet Vacuum||Bissel Pet Hair Eraser|
|Dimensions||9.5 in. (H) × 49 in. (L) × 10 in. (W)||9.6 in. (H) × 46 in. (L) × 10.5 in. (W)||10.5 in. (H) × 42.5 in. (L) × 5.5 in. (W)||8.9 in. (H) × 33.7 in. (L) × 11.8 in. (W)||4.5 in. (H) × 16 in. (L) × 5 in. (W)|
|Weight||5.9 lbs.||7.5 lbs.||6 lbs.||8.25 lbs.||3.75 lbs.|
|Run Time||20 to 60 min., depending on which power mode is used||17 to 24 min., depending on flooring||35 min.||Up to 60 min.||15 min.|
|Charge Time||3.5 hrs.||4 hrs.||4 hrs.||6 hrs.||12 hrs.|
Best of Best: Dyson V10 Animal Cordless Vacuum – Lightweight & Powerful
The new V10 Animal stick vacuum is Dyson’s most commanding stick vacuum yet. The powerful motor provides the most suction of any cordless vacuums, thanks to its seven-cell, nickel-cobalt-aluminum battery. It comes with three power modes to choose from, each designed for a different surface. Its trigger button maximizes cleaning time by automatically turning off when the user is not actively vacuuming, thus extending the length of the battery charge.
What’s different from previous versions is that the V10 has a fully sealed filtration system that traps up to 99.7% of all sucked-up dirt. All air that leaves the appliance is much cleaner than the air that went in.
The entire vacuum is designed to lessen noise and vibrations, and by placing the motor, the cyclones, and the dust bin in a straight line, the force of its suction power is optimized. An easy-release button makes emptying the dust bin a breeze. The attachments are easy to switch out, and best of all, it can quickly transform into a handheld vacuum cleaner, making it a highly versatile appliance.
The V10 comes with a wall-mounted docking station that offers a tidy way to recharge and store both the vacuum cleaner and its attachments and Dyson’s customary two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
The V10 comes with Mini-motorized tool, it is very easy to use, and you could remove pet hair and dirt upholstery.
- The filtration system is superior to any other cordless stick vacuum.
- The motor shaft is made from ceramic, rather than steel, so there’s no worry about the motor overheating when it spins at up to 125,000 rpm.
- The attachments are easy to switch out.
- There is no secondary battery pack to use when the installed battery runs out of power.
- The power button needs to be held down for the vacuum to run.
- It is an expensive appliance.
What’s in the Box?
- The vacuum cleaner
- Combination tool
- Crevice tool
- Mini soft dusting brush
- Mini-motorized tool
|Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Lightweight Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner||282 Reviews||Check Price|
The Shark Navigator Freestyle has three things, in particular, going for it: a two-speed brushroll, a unique swivel head, and an extra-large dust bin. These three features combined ensure that the vacuum can not only suck up pet hair but also pet food and litter—from any surface—without clogging up the dust bin. This is one of the reasons why Consumer Reports has rated it as one of the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair.
The vacuum’s charging station doubles as a storage dock, and unlike other battery-operated appliances, the Navigator does not have to be unplugged once charging is complete. So while an indicator light shows when the battery is charging, there is no need to keep track of it, because unplugging it is unnecessary. This is one big advantage of the Navigator: once the battery is charged, it is ready to go whenever you are.
The vacuum’s foam filter is easy to remove from its spot below the dust cup, and it is washable and reusable. Nevertheless, replacement parts are available on the manufacturer’s website. The vacuum comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- It very easily switches from carpet to hardwood floor vacuuming. It does particularly well on hardwood or linoleum flooring.
- The time a battery charge lasts is very consistent.
- It is easy to maneuver.
- While being excellent at picking up pet hair, it sometimes has trouble picking up large crumbs or small gravel.
- The position of the power button is awkward. Pushing the vacuum under a piece of furniture might accidentally turn off the vacuum.
- When the dust bin is more than halfway full, the suction power can vary.
What’s in the Box?
- The Shark Navigator Freestyle vacuum
- Precision charger
|Shark Navigator Freestyle Upright Stick Cordless Bagless Vacuum for Carpet, Hard Floor and Pet with...||4,757 Reviews||Check Price|
2-in-1 Stick Vacuum: Electrolux Ergorapido Petcare EL3230A – Removeable Handheld Part
Electrolux’ Ergorapido Petcare offers you two vacuums in one. With the push of a button, you can remove the handheld vacuum from the stick and by adding one of the additional tools to it, you can use it to vacuum small corners and hard-to-reach places. The upholstery nozzle is designed to remove pet hair from upholstery and curtains.
The Ergorapido has two features in particular that make it unique. It has a patented self-cleaning brushroll that, with the press of a pedal, removes any long hair that is tangled around the brush. This is particularly useful when there are pets—or people— with long hair in the house. The vacuum also has an LED light that helps you spot dirt in poorly lit areas of your home.
The filter is washable and reusable. But just in case, replacement parts are available for purchase. The appliance comes with a two-year limited warranty.
One drawback is that the dust bin is not particularly large, so it needs to be emptied more frequently. Likewise, the filter will need a regular thorough cleaning. Also, while the charging stand does store the attachments, is a bit flimsy and thus easily knocked over.
- The handheld part of the vacuum with its roller brush easily detaches.
- The noise level is low.
- The strong suction picks up everything from dog hair and crumbs to bird seed and pet food.
- The dust bin is not particularly large, so it needs to be emptied frequently.
- In case the self-cleaning feature fails, the design makes cleaning and emptying the vacuum a bit awkward.
- The battery charge can become unpredictable after a year of heavy usage.
What’s in the Box?
- Ergorapido Petcare
- Crevice tool
- Dusting brush
- Upholstery tool
- Charging stand
- Instruction manual
|Electrolux Ergorapido PetCare EL3230A Stick Vacuum, Satin White||75 Reviews||Check Price|
2-in-1 Upright Vacuum: BLACK+DECKER HCUA525JP – Powerful &
The Black+Decker Pet Vacuum has a compact and low-profile design and swivel steering to make cleaning small spaces as easy as possible. The included extension wand and portable canister act like a handheld vacuum to enable the user to vacuum curtains or anything above the head. It features user-friendly touchscreen controls that let you adjust the suction speed and turn on the LED light for cleaning dark corners. Particularly nice is the Smartech technology that let the vacuum cleaner automatically adjust the suction power depending on what type of surface is being cleaned, show how much battery remains before a recharge is necessary, and alert you when it’s time to change the filter.
The dust bin comes with a compactor feature that creates more space in the bin, so more dirt can be sucked up before the bin has to be emptied. The dust bin opens with the touch of a button. Pet hair, in particular, gets clumped together in the dust bin, so there is little need to wipe out the dust bin after the dirt is dumped into the garbage bin. Like the dust bin, the brush bar and filter can both be quickly removed and cleaned.
On the downside, this is the heaviest vacuum cleaner of the group discussed here, and it has the longest charge time as well. It has no dedicated storing stand and cannot be mounted to the wall.
The appliance comes with a two-year limited warranty.
- The Grab-and-Go canister easily converts the stick vacuum into a handheld one.
- It is easy to assemble the accessories.
- Side brushes around the vacuum head ensure all-around cleaning.
- The run time per battery charge can be unpredictable.
- The motor can be fairly loud when using the highest power setting.
- There is no additional battery pack to swap out when the installed battery runs out of power. At that point, a complete recharge is necessary.
What’s in the Box?
- Vacuum cleaner
- Jack charger
- 3-in-1 accessory tool: nozzle, crevice tool, upholstery
- Washable filter kit and
- Pet crevice tool
- Pet brush
- Instruction manual
|BLACK+DECKER POWERSERIES PRO Cordless Lithium 2in1 Pet Stick Vacuum, HCUA525JP||127 Reviews||Check Price|
Handheld Cordless Vacuum: Bissel Pet Hair Eraser
Bissel’s Pet Hair Eraser is a particularly attractive option for pet owners who are looking for a handheld vacuum cleaner. The lithium-ion battery included in the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser is more powerful than standard batteries, so the vacuum’s suction is continuously strong for up to 15 minutes. The appliance is easily operated with push buttons.
Its motorized brush specializes in picking up any kind of pet hair, no matter the surface. Two additional versatile attachments enable the user to quickly go from vacuuming hardwood floors and rugs to cleaning stairs, countertops, and furniture. The Eraser’s two-stage filtration improves the overall cleaning performance.
What is particularly nice about Bissel’s Eraser is its 4.5-inch-wide cleaning path, which outperforms similar handheld vacuums. The width of each swipe cuts down on the amount of time needed to finish the job. It also features a particularly large dust bin that takes longer to fill up, so there is no risk of the vacuum getting clogged up. Both the dust bin and the filter are designed for easy cleaning, but in case of heavy usage, replacement filters are available for purchase. Its. The Pet Hair Eraser comes with a one-year warranty.
- A 14.4V lithium ion battery that is more powerful than those in other handheld vacuum cleaners.
- The filter system has three layers, meaning all the dust it picks up stays inside the dust bin.
- With a weight of less than 4 lbs., it is extremely portable.
- The battery does not last long enough to thoroughly clean an entire house.
- There is no option to have a secondary battery ready to install when the included one runs out of power.
- You need to take out the filter before you can empty the dustbin.
What’s in the Box?
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser
- Upholstery tool
- Crevice tool
- Instruction manual
Each of these cordless vacuum cleaners would be a good choice for any pet owner. However, if you have a little extra money, it is well worth spending it on the new Dyson V10 Animal. With its lightweight, quick charge time, and exceptional filtration system, this is a particularly attractive choice. Combined with the fact that it quickly and easily transforms into a handheld vacuum, you get a truly versatile appliance that can help you clean any part of your house, your car, your furniture, and even your boat from top to bottom.
Finally, if you are still less than thrilled about having to vacuum your house—most people rank vacuuming as the number one chore they would rather avoid—consider investing in a robotic vacuum like the iRobot Roomba or the Neato. The latest models come with smartphone apps, laser technology, and a host of other features that let the robotic vacuums clean the house without you ever having to lift a finger.